Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Recipe: Sweet Dinner Rolls

This recipe makes AMAZING rolls! The kind you can bring to the ward potluck and be proud of:) I got this recipe, along with most of my favorite recipes, from, a super great recipe site where you can search recipes, and also see how they are rated and reviewed.

NOTE: I don't mix this up in a bread machine, since I don't have one. Instead, I mix the warm water, milk, and yeast, and let it sit until the yeast is all foamy. Then I mix in the rest of the stuff, let it rise until doubled in size, and start following the directions at Step 2. I also just roll the dough into 12 balls and let them rise in a 9x13 inch pan instead of making them into crescents.

Sweet Dinner Rolls
Makes 16 rolls

1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, softened

1. Place water, milk, egg, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, salt, flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough/Knead and First Rise Cycle; press Start.

2. When cycle finishes, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch circle, spread 1/4 cup softened butter over entire round. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Roll wedges starting at wide end; roll gently but tightly. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place, let rise 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

3. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden.


Kim said...

Thanks for the recipe meredith!
I'm looking forward to trying this with all the expert tips you gave me=).

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt and Danielle Young said...

MmmMmmMmm...I got in a baking mood yesterday and made some pumpkin pie to sort of celebrate it almost being fall. Well, ummm. I don't think it was the recipe but it didn't exactly turn out right. Didn't stop me from squirting a bunch of whipping cream on top and eating it anyway! haha. Baking and I aren't good friends. But I think I could do these rolls. Thanks my pregnant friend! :)